Create and Perform HITs on Mechanical Turk
- Sign up as an Amazon Mechanical Turk worker at mturk.com.
- Complete at least $1 worth of tasks as a worker. Choose at least 3 different types of tasks to learn about the variety of work being offered.
- Create a requester account on Amazon Mechanical Turk.
- Post at least $1 worth of tasks as a requester and gather data. If you started early, you can use the funds you earned as a worker; those can take a while (hours to days) to clear. If you are operating last minute, you will have to fund your account with a credit card. Post at least two different types of tasks using provided templates:
- Basic, open-ended question. This is the most straightforward type of task.
- Data Collection or Data Correction. This will require you to create a data source (e.g., a spreadsheet with names and addresses to verify).
Getting paid and collecting responses takes time. Starting on Monday morning will likely be too late.
What to Submit
- One paragraph about your experience as a worker: what tasks did you work on, how much did they pay each, how hard were the tasks? Can you imagine working on MTurk tasks for hours each day?
- One paragraph about your experience as a requester: what kind of tasks did you post? how fast did you receive answers? were the answers any good? what was your experience using the MTurk requester user interface?
You will submit your assignment on this wiki.
Create a Wiki Page for this assignment
Create a wiki page called Assignment1-FirstNameLastName and link to it from your personal account page. Replace FirstName and LastName with your real name. Then click on the link and enter the information about your assignment.
Describe your project plan on the wiki
On the page you just created, write up your experience as a worker and requester, as described above.
Add Link to Your Finished Assignment
One you are finished editing the page, add a link to it at the bottom of the page with your full name as the link text. The wiki syntax will look like this: *[[Assignment1-FirstNameLastName|Firstname Lastname]]. Hit the edit button for the last section to see how I created this link for me.
Links to Finished Assignments
Add your submission below this line.